What is the Story behind AdvisorMed.com?
In our personal lives our grandfather Joseph Matovich led to our inspiration for where we are today.
Some background on our Grandpa:
- He was a 78 year old, tough nosed Shaker Heights, Ohio Graduate – both a football player and a state champion wrestler
- Devoted husband, father of 5, grandfather and great grandfather of 18
- Hard laborer – working as an electrician in the Cleveland Steel Mills
- As the saying goes, if I had a nickel for every story he had about the Steel Mills…I’d be rich…!
- Uncompromising local Union President for Republic Steel.
On Friday, February 27, 2009 early in the morning, our Grandma found him on the floor next to his bed. He wasn’t able to speak or get up. She had him rushed to the hospital. The hospital diagnosed him with having a stroke and was admitted to their Primary Stroke Center.
His initial recovery went very well and the plan was to discharge him to an Intensive Rehab Unit.
Then, on the second day, there were complications:
Our family’s perception of the care changed. There was a general lack of compassion on the unit. Weekend Nurses and therapists were not helpful. Which put a question in our head, did this lack of care lead to his complications?
Bottom line – we felt the three weeks he was at the hospital were awful. He passed away one month later.
Even though our Grandpa was rushed to the closest hospital, our questions were:
- How could we have known that this was not the best place for our Grandpa’s recovery?
- What should we have done differently? Should we have moved him?
- How can we make sure NEXT TIME we have the most informed information to make the best decision for our loved ones care?
The problem is there isn't an easy place that offers information on these providers.
Our solution is AdvisorMed. It is a place where:
- Consumers can see where their provider is ranked compared to other providers.
- Consumers can also write and read reviews on their providers based on the good and the bad.
AdvisorMed is a resource for consumers to make an informed decision on their care.
If we would have had this as a resource prior, we know our family would have considered discharging our Grandpa to a different hospital. These are hard decisions to make, but objective trustworthy advice can make the difference.
What we promise AdvisorMed will do for you
Our commitment is to provide an easy to use website for anyone to share information or helping choosing a physician, hospital, nursing home or home healthcare.
We knew that if we did this it would be important that AdvisorMed:
- Provide this information for free to the consumer.
- Users should be able to share their ideas, opinions and thoughts with the largest audience possible.
- The website should be easy to navigate, and simple.
- The website should be a portal of information in which an objective unbiased ranking system by city that would index all providers with both national standardized government outcomes data and reviews by consumers.
- Lastly, we thought it was equally important for the providers to have a voice to their consumers. An open dialogue between the patients and providers to improve their outcomes.
The goal is to have something that people be used daily by sharing or helping themselves whenever there is an important healthcare decision to be made.